Burns cause painful damage to skin tissue, resulting in internal and external injuries of varying severity. Serious burns can result in permanent scars, agonizing pain, nerve damage, and even death.
Brownsville-area residents and workers face a constant risk of burns in their everyday lives. For oil and gas workers, the risk of a severe burn is present whenever they work near flammable hydrocarbons. In Brownsville homes from Cameron Park to Southmost, children and adults confront burn dangers from appliances, backyard grills, drain cleans, and hot water taps. Even the hot Texas sun can inflict burns severe enough to cause dangerous illnesses.
Many burn injuries in Brownsville happen because of the careless or reckless actions of someone other than the burn victim. In those cases, victims may have the right to receive substantial financial compensation for their injuries and losses.
Attorney Kenny Perez and the skilled Brownsville burn injury attorneys at Kenny Perez Law can help. Contact us today to learn about your rights to compensation after suffering a preventable burn.
Burn Injury Facts
Over one million burn injuries requiring medical attention occur each year in the United States. Of these, 50,000 burn victims need hospitalization, and 10,000 victims die from their burns. According to the American Burn Association, in the U.S., 1 out of every 1500 residents will die from exposure to smoke, flames, or fire.
In fact, burns are one of the leading causes of death in most age groups. Heartbreakingly, children under 15 make up almost one-quarter of all burn injuries.
Burns can be caused by heat, electricity, friction, radiation, and chemicals. Most happen through exposure to flames, or contact with hot water, steam, a hot object, electricity, or chemicals.
Burn injuries are classified into three levels of severity.
- First-degree burns are also called superficial burns. They affect only the outer layer (the epidermis) of your skin. The area affected is red, painful, and dry, but not blistered. An example is a mild sunburn. There is usually no long-term damage but they can result in discoloration.
- Second-degree burns are partial-thickness burns. They affect the outer layer and part of the underlying layer (the dermis) of your skin. These burns are red, blistered, and painful.
- Third-degree burns are full-thickness burns. They destroy all three layers: the epidermis, dermis, and fat. They can also damage bones, muscles, and tendons. The burn results in a white, charred, or leathery site. They can also destroy nerve endings. Most third-degree burns require skin grafts, which replace damaged tissue with healthy skin, to protect the open wounds.
Complications of Burn Injuries
All levels of burns are at risk for infection and discoloration. One of the biggest risks with all burns, but especially third-degree, is infection. The damage to the skin opens it up to exposure to bacteria and viruses. Scarring occurs in second- and third-degree burns.
Other potential complications of third-degree burns are:
- Arrhythmia/cardiovascular disturbances
- Fragile skin/skin breakdown
- Fluid and swelling in tissues
- Infections: Pneumonia, sepsis, organ failure
- Low blood pressure resulting in shock
- Permanent physical disabilities
- Permanent nerve damage
- Skin graft failure
- Chronic pain
- Inhalation injury
- Cataract/corneal injury
Burn victims suffer from more than just physical complications. They also experience emotional damage including PTSD, anxiety, and depression. Additionally, serious burn injury recovery can take a long time, often keeping victims out of work or school.
Compensation for the High Cost of Burn Injuries
Burn injuries are physically, mentally, and financially debilitating. Even a moderate burn can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to treat, and severe burns care costs can run into the millions.
At Kenny Perez Law, we represent Brownsville burn victims in legal actions aimed at securing as much compensation as possible for their injuries and losses.
Every case we handle differs, but oftentimes our team can obtain compensation to pay for a client’s:
- Medical care
- Out-of-pocket costs related to adapting to and living with a burn injury
- Past and future lost wages and diminished earning capacity
- Pain, suffering, reduced quality of life, and damaged personal relationships
Who pays these damages? It depends on the facts of the individual case. In general, Texas law holds an individual, business, or other party accountable for engaging in unreasonable conduct that led to a burn injury.
- A landlord could owe damages to a burn victim for having failed to install or maintain adequate fire safety systems in a residential building.
- The manufacturer of a household appliance could face liability for someone’s burns if it sold a defective product that caught fire and inflicted injuries.
- A trucking company might owe compensation to individuals who suffered burns when a tanker truck overturned and exploded.
- A homeowner could face liability for accidentally starting a fire when he left coals in a backyard grill unattended.
The team at Kenny Perez Law has years of experience fighting to make sure Brownsville burn and injury victims receive the compensation they need and deserve.
Contact a Compassionate Brownsville Burn Injury Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been in an accident that resulted in serious burns, you need a burn injury attorney you can trust; someone who can fight for every last dollar of compensation you deserve, while you put your energies into healing and moving forward with your life.
Attorney Kenny Perez and his team fight for burn victims like you. We know how to investigate the causes of your burn injury, target the parties at fault, and secure the money you need to pay for your care and rehabilitation. Contact us today online or call our Brownsville office at (956) 544-9292 to learn about how we can help you in the aftermath of a serious burn injury.
Kenny Perez Law
3505 Boca Chica Blvd Suite 151
Brownsville, TX 78521
“Definitely a law firm that you can trust! Professional, reasonable, and knowledgeable. The legal team has great customer service skills. They were able to help and guide us every step of the way after our accident.” – Cynthia Barrera
Read more reviews on Google!