As in any city, pedestrians share the roads with vehicles and bicycles in Harlingen. Because drivers and riders are not always as careful as they should be, pedestrians here face a constant risk of accidents, especially when crossing or walking along busy thoroughfares like Harrison Avenue and Route 77. While pedestrians have the right-of-way in crosswalks, motorists and cyclists do not always see them or yield to them as they should
If you suffered injuries in a pedestrian accident in Harlingen, contact Kenny Perez Law for a free case evaluation today.
Pedestrian Accidents in Texas and Harlingen
According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), pedestrian accidents account for one in five of all traffic fatalities. Pedestrian accidents caused 731 deaths and 1,211 serious injuries in 4,852 crashes across Texas in 2020.
TxDOT’s Crash Records Information System (CRIS) database also reflects that over a recent three-year period, 100 pedestrian accidents occurred in Harlingen, many of them resulting in serious or fatal injuries to the pedestrian.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Many factors contribute to pedestrian accidents. According to TxDOT, common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Driver inattention and distraction (such as looking at cell phones instead of at the road);
- Speeding, especially in areas with heavy pedestrian traffic or where pedestrians do not have a sidewalk;
- Ignoring traffic control signals at intersections where pedestrians are likely to cross; and
- Failing to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians.
This is not a complete list, of course, but it gives a sense of the many ways that pedestrian accidents can happen in Harlingen. No matter what the cause, however, a pedestrian accident should never happen. Kenny Perez Law represents pedestrian accident victims in seeking compensation for their injuries and losses.
Pedestrian Accident Injuries in Harlingen
The injuries a pedestrian could suffer range in severity, depending on numerous factors, such as the size and speed of the vehicle, how the vehicle hits a pedestrian, and the presence of other vehicles in the vicinity when the collision occurs.
Common injuries pedestrians may suffer include:
- Traumatic brain injuries.
- Back and spinal cord injuries.
- Head, neck, and shoulder injuries.
- Internal injuries.
- Crushed or traumatically amputated limbs.
- Pulled muscles, torn muscles, and other soft tissue injuries.
- Simple and/or compound fractures.
- Severe lacerations and abrasions (including road rash).
Any of the injuries above can put a pedestrian accident victim’s life in danger, or cause long-lasting disabilities and impairments that disrupt every aspect of a victim’s life.
At Kenny Perez Law, we work with our clients and their loved ones to understand the full scope and impact of pedestrian accident injuries, and pursue the maximum damages they deserve to receive under Texas law.
Recovering Damages for Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Under Texas law, Harlingen pedestrian accident victims generally have the right to seek damages from the at-fault party by taking legal action in Cameron County court. Kenny Perez and his team represent pedestrian accident victims in those lawsuits.
The damages a pedestrian accident victim can often recover in a lawsuit include:
Also referred to as special damages, economic damages represent the direct financial harm a pedestrian accident victim suffers.
They may include:
- Past and future medical expenses, such as the cost of emergency care, surgeries, doctor appointments, physical therapy, and medications.
- Other expenses a pedestrian accident victim would not have had but for the accident.
- Lost wages and income resulting from the victim missing work or becoming disabled.
- Replacement of destroyed personal property, such as a cell phone, school books, or a computer.
- If a pedestrian accident victim dies from his or her injuries, reasonable funeral, burial, and/or cremation expenses.
Also called general damages, non-economic damages encompass the harms a pedestrian accident victim suffers that do not have a direct monetary cost associated with them, such as:
- Pain and suffering, including emotional distress.
- Loss of quality of life resulting from pedestrian accident injuries.
- Loss of companionship of a spouse or loved one.
- Loss of consortium with a spouse or domestic partner.
- Loss of use of a body part or bodily function.
- The physical and psychological impact of scarring and/or disfigurement.
Courts may award exemplary damages, also called punitive damages, in cases in which the conduct that caused a pedestrian accident was especially extreme, outrageous, or intentional.
Frequently Asked Questions About Pedestrian Accident Cases
How long do I have to file a pedestrian accident lawsuit in Harlingen?
For most personal injury cases, including pedestrian accidents, you generally have up to two years after the accident to file a lawsuit, after which you lose your rights to compensation. However, we strongly recommend contacting a skilled Harlingen pedestrian accident lawyer like Kenny Perez as soon as possible after an accident occurs. The sooner you start the process of seeking compensation for your injuries, the better your chances of getting the money you deserve.
Why do I need a pedestrian accident lawyer?
An attorney’s job is to get you as much money as possible for your injuries and losses. Pedestrian accident settlement negotiations and lawsuits are often complex. Insurance companies try their best to deny claims or offer a pittance that might not cover your medical expenses. A skilled lawyer can tackle these challenges on your behalf and put you in the best possible position to obtain compensation.
How much does a lawyer cost?
Kenny Perez Law offers a free consultation to anyone who suffered injuries in a Harlingen pedestrian accident and wants to learn about their rights and options for seeking compensation. We also represent virtually all of our clients on a contingent fee basis, which means our clients pay us nothing upfront, and we only get paid if we get results for our clients.
Contact a Harlingen Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Do not wait to get the help you need after suffering injuries in a pedestrian accident in Harlingen. Contact Kenny Perez Law online or call (956) 544-9292 for a free consultation with Kenny and his team today.
Kenny Perez Law
513 E Jackson Ave # 304,
Harlingen, TX 78550
“Definitely a law firm that you can trust! Professional, reasonable, and knowledgeable. The legal team has great customer service skills. They were able to help and guide us every step of the way after our accident.” – Cynthia Barrera
Read more reviews on Google!