Dealing with the aftermath of a serious injury caused by someone else’s careless actions can leave you struggling. Many injuries can change the entire shape of your life, from your ability to effectively handle your usual work tasks to your ability to take care of yourself.
You may deserve financial compensation for those injuries and the challenges you have faced. Contact Kenny Perez Law today to learn more about your right to compensation.
Kenny Perez Law: Fighting to Help Harlingen Injury Victims Recover the Compensation They Deserve
Kenny Perez Law focuses heavily on putting the law in the corner of the victim. Big insurance companies know the law inside and out, and they often try to use their knowledge of the law and personal injury procedure to reduce the compensation victims of serious accidents can recover.
We help turn that around so that our clients have a better idea of how much compensation they really deserve for their injuries and what steps they need to protect that right to compensation as much as possible.
At Kenny Perez Law, we fight for our Harlingen neighbors. We know the local area, the local court system, and a team of medical experts and accident specialists that can help build a highly effective personal injury claim.
Common Types of Harlingen Injuries
Did you suffer serious injuries in one of these common types of Harlingen incidents? Kenny Perez Law Firm can help you seek the compensation you deserve.
Harlingen, as a major transportation hub for many goods, including citrus fruits, cotton, and a range of vegetables, sees a lot of truck traffic moving through the area. Many accident victims suffer substantial injury due to truck driver negligence, including speeding, distraction, or fatigue, each year.
Harlingen includes two four-lane divided expressways that intersect in the city: US Highway 77 and US Highway 83. Due to the heavy traffic on these highways, as well as the dangers inherent in the intersection of two large highways, Harlingen residents and visitors alike may struggle with that traffic and the resulting accident potential.
Motorcycle riders in Harlingen, and throughout Texas, can legally ride without a helmet. That helmet, however, can offer dramatic protection against traumatic brain injury, facial injury, and other serious injuries. If you suffer injuries, including traumatic brain injury, in a motorcycle accident, you may have the right to pursue compensation for those injuries.
Slip and Fall Accidents
A slip and fall can occur anywhere, at any time. Many victims, however, suffer serious slip and fall accidents due to the negligence of business owners, including those who may fail to ensure that their floors are free of spills or other dangerous liquids. Slip and fall accidents can also occur on private property.
Traumatic Brain Injury
Traumatic brain injury, or TBI, can occur in a variety of ways, including car accidents, motorcycle accidents, and slip and fall accidents. Some victims also suffer TBI due to construction site accidents or product liability claims. Dealing with the aftermath of a traumatic brain injury can leave you with high medical bills and substantial limitations on your activities.
Premises Liability Claims
Premises liability accidents, which may include slip and falls, occur when a negligent property owner, including both business owners and private property owners, fail in their duty of care. Improper maintenance can quickly cause serious injuries that result in lifelong challenges for the victim.
Dog Bite Claims
Harlingen residents love their dogs. When those dogs pose a danger to others, however, the injured party may have grounds to pursue compensation for any injury caused by the dog.
Catastrophic injuries, including traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injuries, amputations, facial injuries, or the loss of one of your senses, can permanently change the course of your life. When someone else’s negligence causes those catastrophic injuries, Kenny Perez Law can help you pursue compensation.
Harlingen has a strong pedestrian infrastructure that makes it easy for people to get around the city on foot. However, when dangerous drivers ignore the pedestrians in a crosswalk or fail to yield right of way, it can cause serious injuries.
Drunk Driving Accidents
Drunk drivers often cause more severe damage, including more serious injuries, than sober ones. Dealing with the aftermath of a drunk driving accident can cause a great deal of anguish, and you may deserve compensation for those losses.
How Much is Your Harlingen Personal Injury Claim Worth?
Consult Kenny Perez Law Firm as soon as possible for a breakdown of your financial losses and the compensation you may deserve for the injuries you sustained. We cannot guarantee the compensation you will recover after your accident.
However, most personal injury claims include compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
Who Bears Liability for Your Harlingen Injuries?
As one of our first steps in moving forward with a personal injury claim, we will take a look at the party that caused your accident, also known as the liable party.
Generally, we will take a look at three key questions to determine who bears liability for your injuries, including whether multiple parties may share liability for the accident.
- Who had a duty to protect you, or to take steps to prevent injuring you, at the time of the accident? For example, every driver bears a duty of care to all others who use the roads, including pedestrians, motorcycle riders, and other drivers.
- How did the person that caused your accident violate that duty of care? A drunk driver, for example, might violate the duty of care for getting behind the wheel while inebriated.
- How did that violation lead to your injuries? For example, a drunk driver who crashed into your vehicle might bear liability for your injuries because his inebriation prevented him from responding appropriately to your presence in an intersection.
Harlingen Personal Injury FAQ
Do you have questions about the compensation you may deserve following a severe workplace injury or what the personal injury claim process might look like? Take a look at the FAQ below or contact Kenny Perez Law for answers about your specific claim and circumstances.
1. Who has to pay my medical bills after a Harlingen accident?
Regardless of who caused the accident, you will need to make arrangements to pay your medical bills following a Harlingen accident. Fortunately, you have several options that can make it easier to pay those bills.
Your insurance serves as your first line of financial defense when you sustain serious injuries in an accident in Harlingen. If you suffer injuries in an auto accident, your personal injury protection, or PIP, insurance can help pay your initial medical costs.
All Texas drivers must carry personal injury protection insurance in addition to the liability insurance they have on their vehicles. You can also use your health insurance to help cover the cost of treatment for injuries sustained in an accident, even one caused by someone else’s negligence.
If you do not have adequate funds to cover your medical treatments, you may need your lawyer to write a letter of protection to your medical care providers, which will establish your intent to pay once you receive the funds from a personal injury claim.
2. How long does it take to settle a personal injury claim in Harlingen?
You should expect it to take some time to settle your personal injury claim in Harlingen. First and foremost, you may need time to recover from your injuries. Compensation through a personal injury claim usually relies on a solid understanding of your medical costs related to the accident.
While a doctor can provide you with an estimate of the average cost for recovering from a serious injury, your actual costs may rise or fall based on how well you heal, any complications you face along the way, and even the specifics of your injury. In many cases, you will need to wait six months or more to get a solid idea of what your medical expenses will look like after your accident.
It can also take time for both sides to fully investigate the claim. Both the insurance company that covers the liable party and your attorney will need time to investigate the accident, any factors that may have contributed to the accident, and the extent of your injuries and losses.
3. I got a settlement offer from the insurance company that covers the liable party. Should I take it?
Most insurance companies design their settlement offers to look very tempting. They may want to pressure you to accept a low initial offer: one that does not reflect the real compensation you deserve, and that may not provide you with the funds you need to take care of medical treatments, pay your bills, and manage the other financial challenges that often come your way when you have to deal with a serious injury.
Before accepting a settlement offer from the insurance company that covers the liable party, take the time to talk to an experienced personal injury attorney. An attorney can go over the compensation you really deserve, help you determine how much you should expect, and determine whether you should accept a settlement offer or move forward with negotiation to help increase the compensation you can recover.
4. What should I do to protect my right to compensation after suffering a serious injury in Harlingen?
If you suffer serious injuries due to someone else’s negligence, you need to protect yourself, both medically and financially.
Make sure you follow these important steps.
- Report the accident. If you suffer injuries in a car accident, including a big truck accident or motorcycle accident, in Harlingen, you should report the accident to the City of Harlingen Police Department. If you suffer injuries in a business, you may need to report it to the employees, who may need to fill out an incident response to make it easier for you to pursue compensation later.
- Get medical care. You may not think that you suffered serious injuries in the accident, but discover later that you suffered more serious injuries than you originally thought. Do not simply walk away from the accident scene. Instead, visit a local hospital or urgent care facility immediately to have yourself assessed for serious injuries.
- Contact an experienced Harlingen personal injury lawyer to help you manage your personal injury claim. A lawyer can provide vital advice that may help you navigate reporting your accident, addressing questions issued by the liable party’s insurance company, and seeking the compensation you deserve.
5. Will I have to go to court to resolve my Harlingen personal injury claim?
Most of the time, insurance companies do not want to go to court to resolve a personal injury claim. Taking a claim to court significantly increases the legal costs the insurance company will face, which means it often works in the company’s best interests to settle.
A large percentage of personal injury claims settle out of court.
However, several circumstances may increase the odds that you will need to go to court to resolve your personal injury claim.
- You suffered severe injuries and need to ask for substantial compensation due to your high medical bills and other losses.
- The insurance company wants to dispute liability for the accident, particularly if the insurance company claims that you caused or contributed to the accident.
- The insurance company wants to dispute the extent of your injuries or claim that your injuries occurred at another time, rather than during the accident.
- The insurance company tries to dispute some of the treatment you received for those injuries and the cost associated with it.
If you do have to go to court to manage your claim, having an experienced Harlingen personal injury lawyer on your side can make a big difference in the presentation of your claim, and the compensation you may recover.
Do You Need a Personal Injury Attorney in Harlingen?
Kenny Perez Law
513 E Jackson Ave # 304,
Harlingen, TX 78550
“Definitely a law firm that you can trust! Professional, reasonable, and knowledgeable. The legal team has great customer service skills. They were able to help and guide us every step of the way after our accident.” – Cynthia Barrera
Read more reviews on Google!