As a border city, McAllen features vibrant nightlife, a healthy tourist economy, a place for international trade, and a population that has grown more than 10 percent in the past decade. However, despite being named one of the best cities in Texas, the positive attributes of McAllen-including heavy tourism-often result in injuries from car accidents, slip-and-fall accidents, and more.
If someone else’s negligence injured you in McAllen, let a personal injury lawyer from Kenny Perez Law seek compensation for your injuries. Contact Kenny Perez Law today to see how we can help you.
What Is Personal Injury Law?
As explained by the American Bar Association, personal injury law-also referred to as tort law-is designed to protect individuals from financial losses due to injuries or property damage resulting from someone else’s careless or reckless actions.
You generally file this claim first against the at-fault party’s associated insurance policy. If the insurance company refuses to pay the claim or make a fair settlement offer, you may file a personal injury lawsuit in civil court. In Texas, you must file personal injury lawsuits within two years of the accident.
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
A personal injury lawyer can provide several services to assist a client with their claim, including:
- Determining how much the claim is worth, based on the expenses and impacts that have been incurred or will likely be incurred in the future.
- Determining sources of liability and insurance resources that can provide fair compensation for their client’s injury.
- Handling communication with the insurance adjuster, including entertaining settlement negotiations to protect the value of the client’s claim and obtain a settlement on their behalf.
- Investigating the claim and gathering evidence and witness testimony that can prove liability and expenses.
- Providing guidance and information that can help clients make informed decisions about the claim, including deciding to accept a settlement offer or file the claim in court.
- The timely filing of the claim within the state’s statute of limitations.
- Litigation services, such as delivering opening and closing arguments, presenting evidence, and examining witnesses.
- Assistance with collecting the client’s settlement or award.
How Much Does a McAllen Personal Injury Lawyer Cost?
Personal injury attorneys do not bill for their services in the same way that other types of lawyers do. We do not require a retainer or bill hourly for our services. Instead, we work on a contingent fee basis. This means that payment for our attorney services is contingent on a positive outcome to your claim. If you lose the case, we do not get paid attorney’s fees. If you win, however, we receive a predetermined percentage of your settlement or award under the contingent fee agreement we enter into at the start of your case.
The benefits of a contingent fee arrangement include:
- You can obtain legal help without an upfront investment, making it possible for anyone to obtain assistance with their claim, regardless of their financial status.
- Your legal team can begin working on your case right away and without interruptions due to billing issues.
What Kinds of Cases Does a McAllen Personal Injury Lawyer Handle?
Personal injury claimants in McAllen can seek compensation for the expenses and impacts of their injury that can include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Property damage
- Physical pain and suffering
- Mental distress
Have Questions about McAllen Personal Injury Claims? We Have Answers
Brownsville Car Accident Lawyer, Kenny Perez Let a McAllen personal injury lawyer from Kenny Perez Law help you understand the process of obtaining compensation for the expenses and impacts of your injury. For your free case evaluation, contact us online or by calling (956) 544-9292.