Brownsville Criminal Defense Attorney
If you face criminal charges in a Brownsville area court, you need a skilled and knowledgeable criminal defense lawyer on your side, ready to provide you the legal services you need during this challenging time while treating you with the dignity and respect you deserve.
Thankfully, at Kenny Perez Law, our legal team can provide you with just that, plus so much more. If your charges have you facing possible jail time or a criminal conviction that can impact the rest of your life, do not wait to secure the legal help you need. Rather, reach out to our experienced criminal defense team immediately, and let us show you how we can fight for your future.
Kenny Perez Law – About Us
At Kenny Perez Law, our Brownsville lawyers stand ready to go after the results you want and to make sure you understand what actions we can take on your behalf.
To do this, not only do we work with you every step of the way, answering all the questions and concerns you have regarding your case, but we also take the time to listen, make sure to properly investigate your case, and have you feeling empowered by the decisions you make.
Types of Brownsville Criminal Cases We Take On
At Kenny Perez Law, our firm handles many unique criminal cases, including:
- Felony offenses
- Misdemeanor charges
- DUI and DWI charges
- Minors in possession
- Drug charges
- Theft, such as retail fraud
- Assault and battery
- Illegal search and seizures
- Domestic violence
- Issues with the police and arrests
If you have a criminal issue not indicated on this list, do not hesitate to reach out to us. This list only constitutes some of the types of legal issues that we handle. Our legal team can review your case, determine what legal options you have, and figure out how our attorneys can help.
Misdemeanor Offenses in Brownsville
Many people wrongfully assume that because misdemeanors involve less severe penalties than felonies, misdemeanor charges will not impact their lives. In reality, however, even misdemeanor convictions can often affect a person’s ability to buy a home, find a job, or even go to college.
Generally, misdemeanor crimes include:
- First offense DWI
- Second offense DWI
- Family assault violence
Misdemeanor penalties in Texas depend on the class of the misdemeanor charges, which the law categorizes in the following way:
- Class A Misdemeanor: These crimes often include property theft valued at $750 but less than $2,500, or burglary of a motor vehicle. As a result, these penalties include up to one year in a county jail or fines of up to $4,000.
- Class B Misdemeanor: Crimes under this classification often include theft of property valued at $100 but less than $750, drunk driving, or possession of up to two ounces of marijuana. Consequently, penalties for these crimes can include a fine of no more than $2,000 or jail time of up to 180 days.
- Class C Misdemeanor: If an individual faces Class C Misdemeanor charges, he or she may have to pay a fine of no more than $500. These cases often deal with property theft valued at less than $100, disorderly conduct, or assault by contact.
Although these sentences will often depend on the specific facts of your case and your previous record, when you work with an experienced criminal defense attorney, such as those at Kenny Perez Law, your lawyer can help you fight for the least severe sentence available.
Felony Offenses in Brownsville
Felony charges include any offense that may result in more than one year in jail as punishment. In general, felonies constitute the most severe criminal offenses in Texas and often involve violent criminal conduct. However, non-violent offenses also constitute felonies, such as those that involve theft or property damage.
These felony offenses usually fall into five categories:
- Capital Felonies: This category involves the most severe type of felonies in the state, such as criminal homicide. If a court convicts a defendant of a capital felony, the defendant may face life in prison or even execution in certain situations.
- First-Degree Felonies: These felonies constitute the second-most severe types of crimes in Texas, and convictions carry up to a life of imprisonment or a mandatory minimum of five years in jail. First-degree felonies can also include fines up to $10,000. First-degree felonies often include crimes such as attempted murder or aggravated robbery.
- Second-Degree Felonies: These crimes (such as manslaughter or aggravated assault) carry a sentence of between two and twenty years in jail and fines of up to $10,000.
- Third-Degree Felonies: These felonies constitute the second least severe type of felony in the state and carry convictions up to ten years in jail or a mandatory minimum of two years. A judge can also sentence these individuals to pay fines of up to $10,000. Some of the more common examples of third-degree felonies include tampering with evidence or indecent exposure to a child.
- State Jail Felonies: These felonies constitute the least severe type of felony in Texas, and jail sentences can range from 180 days to two years. Plus, sentences may also include fines of up to $10,000. Some examples of state jail felony crimes include check forgery, child endangerment, or theft. However, courts may treat these state jail felonies as more serious charges if the defendant has a prior conviction or used a deadly weapon in the commission of the crime.
Contact Us Today to Get the Legal Representation You Need
If you face criminal charges, do not leave your freedom up to chance. Instead, contact the law firm of Kenny Perez Law today at (956) 544-9292, and let our legal team not only walk you through your options and make sure you understand your choices, but also go that extra mile to fight for the best results possible.
We offer prospective clients free consultations, during which you can discuss the details of your case and ask questions about your legal options.
Kenny Perez Law
“Definitely a law firm that you can trust! Professional, reasonable, and knowledgeable. The legal team has great customer service skills. They were able to help and guide us every step of the way after our accident.” – Cynthia Barrera
Read more reviews on Google!